We hold IR Part-66 (JAR-66) monthly examinations.
ICAT can examine to level A1, B1.1 and B2. From the 4th May 2009 each examination costs £40. All other charges are identified in the ‘ICAT Examination Requirements’ available below.

Applications must be received no less than three weeks before the examination date. All examinations are held on a Friday and start at 10:00 and 13:30, unless otherwise stated. A place in a morning or afternoon examination session cannot be guaranteed on application. Further guidance is given with the application form.

See latest exam dates

It’s easy to apply

  1. Download the Examination Entry Form
  2. Include BACS payment information / cheque
  3. Include any other necessary documentation
  4. Post the form to ICAT at:

Part-66 Examination Department, International Centre for Aerospace Training
Cardiff Airport Business Park, Port Road, Rhoose, Vale of Glamorgan, CF62 3DP

  1. Alternatively send your application to easa@cavc.ac.uk

*Please ensure you have downloaded the most recent examination entry form using the link to the right. ICAT must receive all necessary documentation at least 3 weeks before the examination date.

Examination Dates

BSc Students should ensure that they do not take exams too late for marks to be entered to the university examination boards.
Applications to sit exams must be received three weeks prior to the exam date at the latest.

Included Modules Price Details Download Form
Modules 4, 9, 9 Essay, 17 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 7, 7 Essay, 13 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 5, 6 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 2, 3, 9, 9 Essay £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 1, 8 £40 ENTRY FORM
Module 15 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 2, 14 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 4, 10, 10 Essay £40 ENTRY FORM
Module 6, 13 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 3, 11 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 1, 8, 9, 9 Essay, 17 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 7, 7 Essay £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 6, 9, 14 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 1, 4(B1), 8, 17 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 1, 2, 3 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 4, 6, 7, 7 Essay, 8, 9, 9 Essay, 15, 17 £40 ENTRY FORM
Modules 1, 2, 3, 5, 11 £40 ENTRY FORM


Where can I sit examinations?

You can sit an examination at any EASA Part-147 accredited centre.

Who can sit a Part-66 examination?

Anyone can sit a Part-66 examination, by applying in the normal way.

What can I take into the examination?

Details are given in the examination briefing document on the examinations page.

If I pass a Part-66 module will I receive a certificate?

Yes, you receive an individual certificate for each module you pass.

Do Part-66 examination certificates expire?

Yes, modular examinations must have been passed within 10 years preceding the application for the Aircraft Maintenance Licence.

Which modules should I study?

This will depend on the licence you are trying to obtain. Most licences include the first ten modules. More information can be found on the IR Part-66 page.

How much experience do I need in order to get my licence?

This will depend on the licence you are trying to obtain. It can be as little as 1 year for an ‘A’ Licence, but can be as much as 5 years for a ‘B’ Licence. More information on experience requirements can be found on the IR Part-66 page or at www.caa.co.uk

In what depth should I study each chapter?

The knowledge level required depends on the licence you are studying towards and varies form chapter to chapter. This is given in the syllabus. The syllabus and knowledge levels are available on the E-learning modules page dedicated to that module..

I am currently serving in the armed forces, will my aircraft experience count towards the licence?

If you have been working on first or second line aircraft for more than 7 years then you may be able count this as up to 4 years of the 5 year requirement for the B Licence. This is at the discretion of the CAA and, as such, only they can make the decision to accept your previous experience, so it is best to check with them.

How do I record my experience?

Your experience should be recorded using the CAP 741: Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Log Book, information about the logbook is available on the CAA website.

I live and work outside the EU, will my experience count towards an EASA IR Part-66 Licence?

Your experience could count, provided that the documented experience is carried out on aircraft that are on the EASA register.

I already have some qualifications in subjects related to the modules I will be studying, can I gain any modules through accredited prior learning?

It is unlikely, there are very few exemptions from Part-66 modules. Some degree level qualifications can provide limited exemptions, the best thing to do is check with the CAA.

I already hold a licence in another country, will I be able to convert it to a UK licence?

Many countries have a licensing system that is at ICAO level 2, the EASA licence is at ICAO level 3. An engineer holding a licence at ICAO level 2 would have to start from scratch in order to achieve an EASA IR Part-66 Licence.

Please wait...
Send a message

Sorry, we aren't online at the moment. Leave a message.

Your name
* Email
* Describe your issue
Login now

Need more help? Save time by starting your support request online.

Your name
* Email
* Describe your issue
We're online!

Help us help you better! Feel free to leave us any additional feedback.

How do you rate our support?