The Cardiff and Vale College International Centre for Aerospace Training has long been a proud supporter of the British Armed Forces.

The Cardiff and Vale College (CAVC) has a large contingent of ex-servicemen working as Lecturers and Managers who all understand the difficulties faced by members of the Armed Forces who are actively studying. Fitting in studies around busy work and family lives is never easy, but is especially difficult for Service men and women who are subject to deployments at a moment’s notice. CAVC will always provide support and help to make sure our students from the Armed Forces can carry out their duties and study flexibly.


Apply today

Start your journey towards becoming a CAA Part-66 licence technician for just £199


Would you like to study for a CAA Part66 B1.1, B1.2 or B1.3 licence? Unable to commit to a full time course? Want to save your ELC’s for resettlement?

The college is pleased to offer our new Armed Forces Introduction to Part66 distance learning. This course covers 5 modules of the Part66 syllabus and allows the student to work towards their Aircraft Maintenance Licence without the need to use valuable ELC’s. This offer includes:

    • Study with a Part147 CAA approved centre of aerospace engineering excellence
    • Innovative study material in E-Book format. E-Books can be downloaded to any computer / tablet or smartphone.
    • Telephone and email study support from subject matter experts.
    • 20% off any of our classroom based tutorials and courses.
    • 20% off hard copy books should you require these as well.
    • Large discount on remaining modules.


If you do have ELCAS funding available and wish to use it to study for a Part-66 licence, please click here.

    Information request:

    To receive information on any of the cardiff and vale college courses, please fill in your details below:

    More information available here

    The personal information you have provided will help us to deliver, develop and promote our products and services.
    Please read our privacy policy for further information on how we protect and manage your submitted data and how you may opt-out at any time in the future.

    I agree that m details can used by Cardiff and Vale College (ICAT Ltd) Business Services and may passed to selected third parties in order for me to recyeive useful information about the aviation industry and related products and services.

    I consent to ICAT collecting my details.

    20% discount to serving and ex-members on selected products. Please contact a member of our team on 01446 725050 or email [email protected]


    Where can I sit examinations?

    You can sit an examination at any CAA Part-147 accredited centre.

    Who can sit a Part-66 examination?

    Anyone can sit a Part-66 examination, by applying in the normal way.

    What can I take into the examination?

    Details are given in the examination briefing document on the examinations page.

    If I pass a Part-66 module will I receive a certificate?

    Yes, you receive an individual certificate for each module you pass.

    Do Part-66 examination certificates expire?

    Yes, modular examinations must have been passed within 10 years preceding the application for the Aircraft Maintenance Licence.

    Which modules should I study?

    This will depend on the licence you are trying to obtain. Most licences include the first ten modules. More information can be found on the IR Part-66 page.

    How much experience do I need in order to get my licence?

    This will depend on the licence you are trying to obtain. It can be as little as 1 year for an ‘A’ Licence, but can be as much as 5 years for a ‘B’ Licence. More information on experience requirements can be found on the IR Part-66 page or at

    In what depth should I study each chapter?

    The knowledge level required depends on the licence you are studying towards and varies form chapter to chapter. This is given in the syllabus. The syllabus and knowledge levels are available on the E-learning modules page dedicated to that module..

    I am currently serving in the armed forces, will my aircraft experience count towards the licence?

    If you have been working on first or second line aircraft for more than 7 years then you may be able count this as up to 4 years of the 5 year requirement for the B Licence. This is at the discretion of the CAA and, as such, only they can make the decision to accept your previous experience, so it is best to check with them.

    How do I record my experience?

    Your experience should be recorded using the CAP 741: Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Log Book, information about the logbook is available on the CAA website.

    I live and work outside the UK, will my experience count towards an CAA IR Part-66 Licence?

    Your experience could count, provided that the documented experience is carried out on aircraft that are on the CAA register.

    I already have some qualifications in subjects related to the modules I will be studying, can I gain any modules through accredited prior learning?

    It is unlikely, there are very few exemptions from Part-66 modules. Some degree level qualifications can provide limited exemptions, the best thing to do is check with the CAA.

    I already hold a licence in another country, will I be able to convert it to a UK licence?

    Many countries have a licensing system that is at ICAO level 2, the CAA licence is at ICAO level 3. An engineer holding a licence at ICAO level 2 would have to start from scratch in order to achieve an CAA IR Part-66 Licence.